Partea a III-a

Editorial (în limba engleză)
Seventy years ago, in March 1939, the first issue of the then named “Bucharest Law School’s Annals” came to print as quarterly fascicules carrying the outcome of scientific research conducted by professors and students, as well as reports on the highlights of the legal and scientific life at the time.

As the then Dean in office, professor G.G. Mironescu confessed in his preface (reproduced in facsimile in this issue), the aim of the publication was to shape and maintain “a scientific movement in the service of progress”.

The first issue included a number of substantial columns: one devoted to doctrine (under the signature of prominent professors, such as Paul Negulescu, Constantin Rarincescu, Mircea Djuvara, Constant Georgescu, Ion Finţescu or George Fotino); another devoted to “Works by students of the Faculty Institutes” (among them the Institute of Administrative Law, where PhD student Iancu Toma had delivered a paper on administrative litigation and the 1938 Constitution, under professor Rarincescu’s guidance, or the Encyclopaedia of Law Institute, where 1st year student, Octavian Căpăţână – who was later to become the eminent professor of law – had written a paper on jurisprudence as a source of law, under the guidance of professor G. G. Mironescu); commentaries “on the new books”, reports of new publications and write-ups, as well as a review of the main Romanian and foreign legal periodicals.

A chronicle of events hosted by the various Faculty institutes, a summary of the PhD theses delivered at the Law School and the book stock and the Library’s latest acquisitions were also carried by that first issue. The doctrine studies and some reviews were in foreign languages. There was also coverage of both partial results of wider research, and argued criticism of then fashionable theories. To ensure better penetration of ideas, the journal ended with a summary of each contribution in English, French, German and Italian.

While after 1948, and for a long period of time, only one issue per year came to print, the journal resumed its quarterly issue after 2000, with prominent figures of legal European circles sitting on its Scientific Board.

Since most of the articles are published in foreign languages and summaries in foreign languages are also available, the annual journal of the Bucharest Law School has been subject to exchanges of publications with nearly 200 overseas libraries and faculties.

In all truthfulness, “The Annals of the Bucharest Universities. Law Series” does not enjoy large readership among practitioners of law. However, we have pursued and we continue to pursue the same goal as our predecessors, namely that of opening up our journal to high level scientific debate and disseminate the in-depth analysis of the Romanian legal phenomenon not only in Romania but also abroad, to demonstrate, paraphrasing the chronicler, that “legal professionals are born in Romania too”.

Such an approach is not elitist, but – strange as it may seem – is rather pragmatic: in a world where, we like it or not, ideas are much like money (to put it as another representative of Romanian medieval culture would), i.e. what lends them value is their power of circulation, “The Annals of the Bucharest University. Legal Series” will retain, even after the anniversary of 70 years in existence, the same editorial policy, equally targeting the Romanian and international legal circles, with the conviction that it thus serves the science of law, without which the general progress of society would not be possible.

AUBD Editorial Board

« înapoi